In the vicinity of Celanova, in the Baixa Limia district, in the heart of the Spanish section of the Gerês-Xurés Transborder Biosphere Reserve (Baixa Limia-Xurés Nature Park) there’s a MTB Center: the Serra do Xurés MTB Trail Center.
Serra do Xurés MTB Trail Center
A MTB Trail Center is an open air area designed and equipped for MTB (Mountain Bike) users that allows us to discover the rural and natural environment through mountain biking, and offers the following:
- A network of trails – a total of more than 100 km. of different levels of difficulty.
- Marked trails.
- Starting point of each trail provided with information on TTFs (technical trail features) and a parking lot.
- Several Reception Areas that offer services for bicycles and provide touristic information.
- Parking lot at the reception area, bike wash stations, toilets and showers, and MTB & helmet rental service.
- Visual materials including trail maps, touristic and TTFs (technical trail features) information of each trail.
The Serra do Xurés MBT Trail Center offers a total of 9 trails of different levels of difficulty – some family-friendly and others ideal for experienced riders – and of different lengths – from 5.7 km. up to 32.4 km..
These trails allow us to discover the natural and cultural heritage of the area:
Natural Heritage: The landscape combines smooth shapes with needle-shaped summits – the highest peaks rise up to 1,500 m. There are also rock formations and boulders (large granite rocks).
Cultural Heritage: The rich heritage of this area allows us to travel back in time to:
- The Neolithic: megalithic monuments – dolmens –
- The Roman Empire: Roman road XVIII a.k.a. Via Nova, its milestones, and a “mansio” (Roman traveler inn)
- The Pre-Industrial Times: “muíños” (water mills), “alvarizas” (traditional circular stone wall constructions encircling bee yards), “chivanas” (bothies), abandoned villages, “hórreos” (granaries on pillars), “fornos comunáis” (communal ovens), etc.
Certain recommendations should be kept in mind when biking along these trails:
R7-RUTA CIRCULAR DE LOBIOS
R7 – LOBIOS CIRCULAR TRAIL
Ruta Circular de Lobios
R8-RUTA MINAS DE LAS SOMBRAS
R8 – SHADOW MINES TRAIL
Ruta Minas de las Sombras
R9-RUTA ALTO DE SANTA EUFEMIA
R9 – SAINT EUPHEMIA HEIGHTS TRAIL
Ruta Alto de Santa Eufemia